Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Next Step

Having received some valuable experience last week, I used what I had learned to help put together the next lesson. I felt that I had rushed a little too much in my first lesson on landscape collages. Many of the students were working, but they didn't quite get the idea of what we were trying to accomplish.
Part of this was that in the first lesson, I didn't want to just stand up there and lecture to them. I wanted to let them make art. It was then that I realized that I could lecture longer and explain more if I would let them participate more. Then they wouldn't be bored with the instruction, they would be taking an active role in the process.
With that in mind, I started the lesson by introducing our activity, Sand Art. I then told them a little about what it was and some of the elements that went into making sand art. The first was that they needed to come up with symbols. Sand isn't very good for making fine details, so they needed symbols that would be read with simple shapes.
I lead the class in thinking about some symbols that they knew, the heart for love, the man for the men's restroom, the crown for a king, etc. I had the children come up and draw some symbols that they knew and everyone was excited to suggest symbols.
Next, the sand art would need to use color. The Navajo Indians who used sand art had specific ideas that were tied to certain colors. Using this as the basis of our art, I had the children name some things that they think of or are reminded of when they see red, blue, green, etc. Calling on the students in turn, everyone was able to offer some input.
I then was able to announce that they would need to make up their own symbols and what their colors would represent so that they could make sand art. The rest of the hour I was there, they worked on creating their symbols and attaching meaning to colors.
Next week, I will demonstrate how to apply sand to designs that they are going to make so that they can create their sand artwork. Using the symbols that they created they will make a composition and then apply sand like a paint by numbers to their work.
They are very excited and so am I.
There were only a few snags with teaching this time. One of which was making sure that I used the teacher's methods for getting student's attention and making sure that they are all looking at me before giving instruction. That way, I don't have to repeat myself as much and it helps them to be consistent in their behavior in the classroom.
One item to note was one young man who was having difficulty coming up with symbols. I tried to help him come up with ideas by asking questions and helping to lead him towards making something, but he seemed very distressed. I will have to take some time to think of how I might be able to help him next week.
One last item of business. I still haven't received all of the photo release forms, so I cannot post pictures at this time. I will go back and post them once I have those documents.

1 comment:

  1. Tyrel, I like the way you incorporated your students into your instruction this time. You're right, sometimes you need to use direct instruction, and in those instances, student engagement is so important!

    ReplyDelete